BLP #8

Tauriq Moosa’s article “Comment sections are poison: handle with care or remove them”, explains the dangers of the comment section. Moosa says that the comment sections are filled with hurtful and useless comments and that their is no need for them. Although I agree with Moosa up to a point, I cannot accept his overriding assumption that we should get rid of the comment section all together. Moosa says the comment section “sits there like an ugly growth beneath articles, bloated and throbbing with vitriol.” He believes that the comment sections fuel hate with racist and sexist comments. “It groans as hatred expands its force, waiting for any point of dissent to break it – to unleash its full fury on targets who dare convey some measure of civility or dissent (if you want almost guaranteed hate, be a woman).” But comment sections can also be helpful. Not everyone on the internet is a troll that writes hurtful comments. We should let this small percentage of people ruin the comment sections for us. I once looked up a forum called “When I connect my laptop to TV via HDMI cable, I have sound on laptop but not through TV”.  There were many comments but, I noticed something immediately. There was not one hurtful comment. The person who started the forum asked “I connected my laptop to my TV through an HDMI cable, the sound goes through the laptop, but not through the TV. I checked in control panel under playback, and right clicked to show disabled devices, and the TV isn’t listed. Any ideas to a solution?” Now I thought that people would be rude and not helpful, but that is the exact opposite of what happened.

“I had the same issue, the HDMI device didn’t show. I did manage to get it to work (how -> see below) and then I could set it to default. This did NOT solve the issue for me (although it does seem to work for many if you read the forums).”

Try this:
– open Control Panel => Device Manager
– Click the little triangle on the left next to “sound, video and game controllers” to make it drop down
– You’ll now see your sound devices, I for example have 2, one is “ATI…” the other “Realtek…” (depends on hardware obviously)
– Right click each one in turn and click “disable”. Click “yes” when the warning pops up.
– When they’re both turned off, right click each of them again and click “enable”.

“Should work fine now. If you click the sound icon on the bottom right of your taskbar it should show an icon of your TV (actually HDMI) now rather than the standard speaker symbol.”
“Kind of annoying for me, I need to do this every time I hook my laptop up to my tv… but it works. No idea why though, but it does it for me.”

This is just one example of someone give a step by step list of how to use the HDMI. This to me, seems very generous. This was not the only one too, there were many more just like this. The person who started the article even thanked the people who helped him. “Just wanted to thank you for this. It was the ONLY thing that worked for me! Annoying, yes, but it got the job done.” I think that this shows how comments can really help people. Without the comments, the person may have never figured out how to properly use the HDMI. I think this also shows that people are learning some sort of internet etiquette. If people can use the comment section correctly, it can be used as a tool that could help everyone tremendously. Even Moosa says “Some find great value in comment sections and one feels almost obliged to say ‘Not all comment sections’. They are, like the internet itself, tools: we don’t discard wrenches because of a few accidents.” Now every website might not have all helpful comments, but their may a view that could really help people. Hopefully we can learn how to use the comment section the right way so it can start help people instead of hurting people.
 http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1947891/connect-laptop-hdmi-cable-sound-laptop-doesnt-show-brand-philips.html

1 Thought.

1. Hey AJ,

Great evidence to prove your thesis! But, like we talked about in class, I think you need to add a “so what?” to that thesis to make it fully argumentative. I like that you talked about civility and learning internet etiquette, so maybe that can be incorporated into your thesis to achieve that “so what?” factor!

AT